- Subject to the provisions of this Act, the University Council is the supreme organ of the University and as such it is responsible for the overall administration of the objects and functions of the University.
- Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), the University Council shall
- Be responsible for the direction of the administrative, financial and academic affairs of the University.
- Formulate the general policy of the Public University;
- Give general guidelines to the administration and academic staff of the University on matters relating to the operations of the University;
- Do any other thing and take all necessary decisions conductive to the fulfilment of the objects and functions of the University.
Powers of the University Council
The University Council shall, in relation to its functions ¾
- represent the University in all legal suits by and against the Public University;
- receive gifts, donations, grants or other moneys and make disbursements as may be required, on behalf of the University;
- fix scales of fees and boarding charges;
- make statutes under this Act;
- establish faculties, departments, boards and courses of study and approve proposals for the creation or establishment of constituent colleges;
- provide for the welfare and discipline of the students;
- approve the University budget proposals and the final accounts submitted by the management;
- Approve the appointment of Deans and Deputy Deans of faculties
Members of University Council
- Mr. F.X.K Lubanga representing Minister of Education and Sports according to section 389(1) m of UOTIA 2001
- Dr. C. Omaswa representing Minister of Education and Sports according to section 389(1) m of UOTIA 2001
- Mr. Martin Omagor Loican representing Minister of Education and Sports according to section 389(1) m of UOTIA 2001
- Dr. Paul Emong representing people with Disabilities
- Mr. John Bosco Okwi representing Soroti District Local Government in accordance to section 38(1) f of UOTIA 2001
- Ms Angela Rwabutomize representing Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development in accordance with section 38(1)o of UOTIA 2001
- Ms Sande Awava Kabirizi representing Ministry responsible for higher education in accordance of section 38(1) p of UOTIA 2001.